Board of Parks, Recreation, & Streets
The Board of Parks, Recreation and Streets is made up of 7 town residents of which 1 member is a Commissioner of Poolesville and serves in an ex officio capacity. The volunteer members serve for a 4-year term.
This Board meets once per month, typically the 1st Wednesday of each month.
The board is tasked with the following duties:
- Advise the Commissioners of Poolesville, Town Manager and the Planning Commission of the Town of Poolesville as to the acquisition, development, and maintenance of parks and recreational areas.
- Exercise, under the authority of the Commissioners of Poolesville, certain functions of control of parks and recreational areas and facilities, such as, but not limited to, regulations for use, scheduling, and department.
- Provide recommendations to the Town Manager and the Commissioners of Poolesville on recreational programs within the town and in coordination with other governmental agencies. Consult with and offer suggestions to the Planning Commission of the Town of Poolesville as to the acquisition of parks and recreational land by the Commissioners of Poolesville and the suitability of proposed facilities for park or recreational use.
- Act as an Advisory Board to the Commissioners on all traffic concerns within the town corporate limits. Such concerns shall include but are not limited to: placement of traffic signs along town roads; coordination on road maintenance plans presented by the Town Manager and Engineer; identification, development and recommendation of methods and practices relating to enforcement of traffic laws within the town.
- Coordinate with the Commissioners of Poolesville, the Town Manager and the Planning Commission concerning parks and recreational areas and provide advice and recommendations on subdivision plans presented to the Planning Commission and Commissioners as to the appropriateness of the landscaping of parks recreational areas and streetscapes.
- Develop an overall long-range recreational plan for the Town of Poolesville in coordination with the Town Manager.
- Act as the Tree Board for the Town of Poolesville and in this capacity have authority over all trees, plants and shrubs located in the street rights-of-way, parks and public places; and trees, plants and shrubs located on private property that constitute a hazard or threat to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- Make operating and capital budget recommendations to the Town Manager, for the needed expenditures for parks, recreational facilities, and programs relating to traffic safety, street maintenance, and traffic enforcement.
- Act as an Advisory Board to the Commissioners of Poolesville and the Town Manager as to the expenditure of budgeted funds for parks and recreational activities.
- Act in an advisory capacity to the Town Manager regarding the beautification of the parks and streets, and other town property.
- Adopt any needed rules and regulations to govern parks and recreational areas and the conduct of the Board.
- Appoint from time-to-time sub-committees or task forces to accomplish tasks as assigned. These sub-organizations will be discontinued when the task is completed.