Select Page

Building Permits 

The process for submitting a building permit:

  • The building permit process start in Poolesville with the submission of a Zoning Code Compliance Permit.
  • Below is the list of requirements for different types of permits.
  • The Town must approve the Zoning Code Compliance Permit.
  • Once the Zoning Code Compliance Permit is approved, it shall be submitted with your plans to Montgomery County.
  • All building permits, except those for a fence, must be submitted to Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services.

How Do I Apply For :

A Zoning Code Compliance Permit is required for the following types of activity:


  • Construction, reconstruction, erection, extension, enlargement, conversion, or structural alteration of any building, including accessory structures;
  • Change in use of an existing building or accessory structure to use a different classification;
  • Occupancy and use of vacant land and existing structures;
  • Change in the use of land to a use of a different classification;
  • Any change is legally nonconforming use;
  • Fences (commercial and resident); and
  • Any temporary uses as defined under the Zoning Ordinance of the Town of Poolesville.